09 June 2006

Houston, we have filtration!

View of the filter, shower hose and adaptor fiasco!
YES!
finally. And after many many many trips to the hardware store, I FINALLY have the water filter hooked up--you don't know how happy this makes me.

It's the little things. I received four packages from home--one of which was my aero bed mattress topper (ahhhh! talk about your creature comforts!) another was filled with the water filter and the housing for the filter, another was filled with my physiology books, and still another was filled with I don't remember what--my white clogs, an extra blanket, a few personal items...that kind of stuff.

But today shall be the day of total satisfaction!
I have maybe 20 different adaptors, none of which fit the sink.

Adaptor, check. Adaptor, check. Adaptor, check. Reflex hammer, check..wait...what?

In a stroke of what I mistook for brilliance(maybe it was just a stroke!) I found an adaptor at the hardware store that was pefect for the tub faucet--but I couldn't get an adaptor that would fit that fitting to the water filter, after one last trip to the hardware store, I finally ran out of options there--I asked the guy what I could to to make this work, and he actually said to me, in Spanish, "change the faucet"

ROFL.

So, I walked back "home" staring at that punk-ass adapor in my hand, thinking, thinking, thinking. When I got back to my room I said "ok--how am I going to make this work? It's GOT to work, or I'm going to die trying."

(a few of you know how damned stubborn I am, eh?)

So, there was something I just wasn't seeing, some angle that I missed...what would MacGuyver do? What would Jesus do? What would someone with more than a reflex hammer and a leatherman tool do?

Then it hit me--the SHOWER! I bathe, anyway, so I wasn't using the shower. Since my diagnosis, I've not been able to stand up in a hot shower and not faint, so I solved that problem by switching to luxurious baths. ;) always looking for a way to luxuriate more!

Anyway, the only thing I could do was to take off the handle of the shower spigot/massage thingy, and put the diverter valve on that. VOILA! water!!!

Cool that the lens slowed the water down so much!  This is the filter's aerator, that would normally attach to the sink, so here, it's attached to where the shower massage used to be, and it leaks a tiny bit, but that's not an issue since it's right over the tub drain!

So now, I can fill my (GLASS!) water bottle, and be done with the toxic plastic. I don't have to tote heavy water back up to the dorm, and I'm pretty happy about that!

I'm so easy to please--I know. But after this much suffering, it's the little things that make you so appreciative!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home