16 June 2006

The Anesthetist's support group

OK, so it's been two weeks (one quarter of the way done! Yay!) and my buddies Lacrista and Shannon (a guy) two of the 5 ETP anesthetists have confided in me that they have been also experiencing the odd treatment.

We're all equally in this nursing track for the first year. After that year, the five of us drop out for a year of ICU work and then come back to do the rest of the masters portion in anesthesia.

After talking to someone for about ten minutes the question always comes up "what are you specializing in?" and when you tell them Anesthesia, sometimes the result is a little wierd.

There were over 500 applicants for the anesthetist program and five of us were selected. This by no means indicates that we are better than anyone else, or that we're smarter or anything like that, but some people have chosen to let it mean this.

Some people have been completely snubbed, and the usual response is "oh? you got in to that specialty? Hmmm...I applied for that and got rejected..." then they look you up and down to see if they can spot what's so special about you--what magic you posess or to see from where on you the light shines.

I've been told, even, that when I go back home to work my year in Intesive Care, to keep quiet to the other RNs about going to do Anesthesia because of the attitude you can get, how hard they can make your life, how much resentment it breeds, etc.

Christ on ice skates! Is this really true?
(Jean?)

Ok, I have to go out in to the hall way to kick someone's ass for slamming their door about 45 times in the last 15 minutes. :D

2 Comments:

At Saturday, June 17, 2006 8:29:00 AM , Blogger sketchmonkey said...

I'm amazed at the comment you made "there weren't a whole lot of us interested in doing anesthesia"

It seems that EVERYONE here was shooting for that. They for sure weren't accepting anyone that was still blowing the ink dry un their undergrad degree, and there were a few of those who were just told "you have no life experience" so they've come up to ask me what "life experiences" I had had that made them select me.

(duh)

Yeah, I bet a lot of nurses go to PACU for the look of it on the application to Anesthesia programs. I know they scrutinized us all very closely because we're all so similar...it's really spooky! It's as if we were all some crazy puzzle that was scattered all around the US and now we're coming together--same temperments, same sort of wit and work ethic--we finish each other's sentences...it's eerie!

Yeah, I'm starting to work on my "story" for when I come home to work in ICU--maybe that I worked in these hospitals I'm doing my clinical rotations in, and so forth--never mentioning architecture (another source of "my aren't YOU special!") and the anesthesia.

Maybe I'll lie and say I want to do Acute care--that would justify being in ICU.

Heh.

 
At Sunday, June 18, 2006 7:51:00 AM , Blogger sketchmonkey said...

Sheeeeit. I ain't scared of needles (either giving or getting)

Remember my childhood friend, Heidi? She was Dx with Diabetes at 14 and I was the first person to give her the insulin shot at home. She took weeks til she could self-inject, so I would go over in the morning and do it.

So, maybe this career path has been a long time coming.

Now, sticking a thermometer in someone's ass...that's going to be tough.

Well, maybe not.
;)

One of the preceptors told me that if you get a veterinarian you HAVE to take their core temp (via the rectal thermometer) because it's their karma.

Funny--I love her.

I know you got my back, Jean--you're the best! I feel ya here every day and know I've got the best role-model ever! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home