07 February 2007

It's almost like they care...redux

For my peds rotation, I'm at CHONY about two blocks away, which is nice. I guess they are rated 6th in the nation (as per a banner in the lobby, making this claim.)

I like the floor I'm on--pediatric oncology. As most of you know, I have a ton of personal experience in oncology. So most of these kids have had bone marrow transplants and the fact that I walked in and knew about BMT, and the procedure, the fact that they treat it for graft versus host disease...all this really rubbed the skanks in my clinical group.

Ya know what? I'd gladly trade your living sibling and ignorance for my knowledge of it and dead sibling...OK? so shut it.

It's a really great floor, and it seems like a nice way to end the 5x5 (five by five) rotation nightmare.

Over lunch, my friend Keiko and I had Indian food at the new place to open up in the neighborhood (food not too bad) and sat in the lounge at the ETP building (I didn't even know there was a lounge there) and the other clinical group was there. They were all commenting on how the Yale Nursing students never say things like we do; how they hate the program, how it's Effed up, and complain about this professor and that, the way they test, how unfair it all is, the disorganization.

Maybe, because it's a good program? I'm guessing?

So, I heard more rumblings from people saying they didn't think they'd be back for the MSN portion. This campus must HEMORRHAGE students after this first year! (at least, that's what the rumor is, and I have heard it from 4 different people.)

I also heard a comment that the reason all our GPAs were upped a couple points (they were?) was because of acreditation. Can you BELIEVE THIS?

So, after lunch, on my way to watch three back to back videos on pediatric physical assessment and respiratory distress (in an overheated, darkened room, belly full of Indian food and on three hours sleep, no easy feat, mind you!) I passed the ETP anesthesia office.

I poked my head in, and surprise! the associate directors were gone to lunch (yet, wouldn't be back til after 5:00--that's some lunch!) I've been by on 4 seperate occasions and they are NEVER there.

The main director was there, and I asked her about the form (see my post below) because I had forgotten mine in my room, so I was playing like I didn't have it, just to get one submitted now. She said "huh? what form, who are you?"

I told her my name, while she's 6" away from my ID tag trying to read it. I asked "oh, I saw the board says they're at Coogans, (the bar around the corner) should I just come back later?"

She goes "huh? oh, no...that was me..." and gets up to wipe the board on her door clean. I wonder about the program, and worry about the competency of what seems like a figure head director, and two recent grads running the program. It's so dysfunctional. Perhaps this is because I'm not in that portion of the program, but this school has a curtain of silence that is seemingly impenetrable. I don't understand why it's so easy to talk to other schools, and get info from them. I attributed this quality to the physical distance; but now I'm here--and the info flows even less.

"What form? who are you? are you in anesthesia?"

I said, "I'll just come back later when W is here...sorry to bother you"

REMINDER: there are FIVE of us.
is it that hard to remember our names?


31 days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home