28 March 2007

The writing semester

So far, this has been an interesting integration. It can be hit or miss depending on the preceptor you get, and the clinical site you end up at. I was lucky and got my first choice place, the CCU at Millstein. I don't envy the folks doing the "other" specialties (Family, Adult, Midwifery, etc) because from what it sounds like, the folks I've heard from are not loving integration.

One person said they were basically teaching him to be a unit clerk and wanted him to answer the phone and such. Wilson is so awesome he just looked at them and told them no.

My story about my preceptor and the Tai Chi (and my not being able to say no) will make the horror story mandatory town hall meeting next year, Sunni said as she laughed a relieved sigh. "I thought we were going to have to find another placement for you" she said.

I think, getting back to my subject, that my friends in Adult are finding that their placements are the same horrible placements we had throughout the year--there are still nurses fighting on the floors, and disdain and loathing for Columbia students, etc.

I lucked out. The floor I'm on is almost exclusively run by Philipinas. Of course, coming from Daly City, they all love me. Not only have I mentioned Joilibee (which I come to realize is significant because it's the first chain in the US of a Philipino based fast food chain) but I also jokingly refer to them as "Ninang" (godmother.)

I heard grumblings from one nurse of Jewish decent. She was giving report to the other preceptor and student coming on night shift. She said "I miss working nights" to which all the night staff scoffed and looked at her funny. She said "oh no, it's not the nights I miss, it's that...you guys are all my age, and...not philipino..." and the other nurses went "oh...yeah"

I guess it can be a bit cliquey with the day staff. I am the only anglo there. But, I feel right at home. And they're very nice to me. So no complaints. I think K (the other student) really likes her preceptor (which is good) and being on nights and would rather that than have to deal with my day staff.

So, that's all there is to tell today. I've got case management class later tonight, so I'd better get hopping. I've got a case study to finish up, and about 8 clinical logs I have to do to hand in. It's a load of writing writing writing.

It's working out great, however, because I'm actually learning something this semester. I'm running up against stuff I dont' know, and doing the research and finding out on my own...this is self-learning mode, I guess. The folks that just show up to their integration site and expect to be spoon fed or told what to do are the disappointed ones. I was lucky I went in and already knew something from the ACLS stuff that I had done on my own over the break...so that made them want to teach me more as they found me worthy of it. I think a lot of students are getting treated like diaper changers still.

OK, back to the writing. I'll try not to be so boring next time :D
Miss you all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home