24 February 2007

NYPD and their obvious lack of knowledge regarding law

So, I'm in the grocery store, picking up a few things.

I decided to check out their shitty cheese aisle and see if there's anything even edible there...when I see 4 employees standing around, watching two guys bickering.

I cock my nosey ear.

Turns out the big fat moose is store "security" (goon) and the smaller scruffy guy is someone being accused of shop lifting.

"I saw you put my cheese in your pocket" insisted the goon.
"I was going to pay for it" said scruffy. He looked exactly like Joseph Fiennes.

I went up to the four bystanding employees and asked, "does that guy work here?"
They nodded, and he turned on me "what?"

I said, "Oh, I was wondering if you work here"
"Yeah, I'm Security"
"ah," I said "well, I wonder then if you know that it's not shoplifting until he tries to walk past the registers without paying...untill then, he can fill his pockets all he likes, and you'd have a hard time proving it wasn't his intention to pay"

"would you mind your own business?" He growled back.
"If I were you, I'd call the police, because this store may end up getting sued by this gentleman"

Scruffy looked at me with panic and thanks in his eyes.
A lady passed me and said "I'd sue the living shit out of them, they can't prove he wasn't going to pay for it"

I went thru the register. walked out as they were shaking this poor guy down in the front of the store, now he was fighting back tears. Maybe he didn't have any money on him and he really had intended to steal the cheese...even sadder, no? They were yelling at him "OK, pay for the cheese, then...Pay for it"

The police showed up...8 or so of New York's "finest"

and I said "he was WAY back in the back of the store, you can't prove he wasn't going to pay for it"

"thank you, thank you" all they said.

Then, walking home, I checked my receipt.
I always forget that this store always rings up things at least a dime more expensive than it's marked. Sure enough, they stiffed me again.
So I turned around, and stood in line again, for a dime and made them refund me. This has been going on since May...who's ripping off whom?

Poor guy.
They had him in cuffs and as I walked out, with my dime, and my bagles and cheese, I heard him saying "guys, please....dont' do this....don't DO this!"

I fucking love New York.
8 uniformed cops, for a three dollar piece of cheese.

14 days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home