21 December 2007

Some good news...

I don't know if I mentioned that the person teaching a couple of the courses my work was sending me to, at UCSF, noticed me sitting in the front row (nerd), in my Columbia hoodie (I went to an ivy league and all I have to show for it is this hoodie?)

She asked me if I had really gone to Columbia, or if someone had just bought me the hoodie. I offered to show her my Sallie Mae Loan statements, and she laughed. It turned out that she got her MSN at Columbia. A fellow alumna!

Cut to three or four months later, and me applying online to the stupid critical care program (again!) and not hearing much in return. I finally emailed this fellow alumna of mine and asked her if she remembered me, and if she could help me get my resume to the right hands so as to at least not miss this again.

Well, I just noticed on my phone yesterday morning that they had called and left me a message saying they'd like to interview me, that this alumna of mine had forwarded them my resume. How awesome is that?!

I left them a message saying I'd be very interested in meeting with them.

How cool!

I'm now worrying about having to go in and tell my nurse manager, who's being a LOT nicer to me since this whole blow out, that I'm going to take another offer...just as the training they're going to send me to is either in full swing, or just over.

Sheesh.

But I can't count on getting this other job, so I have to move forward at this current ICU as if I don't have any intentions of leaving. To make matters worse, a friend in NYC has been emailing me about her doubts about this program, and virtually, her emails read exactly like my blog. Holy cats, we're saying the same things. Maybe I'll just go and do the NP thing...maybe I'll stay at Columbia...maybe I'll apply somewhere else, I hate my icu, etc.

Hate's a strong word. I'm baking about 4 dozen cinnamon rolls from scratch, some of which will make it to my work tomorrow night, afterall. Funny how much I'm baking/cooking at night to keep the upstairs warm. I just can seem to wake up in the late afternoon and cook, so I have to do it while I'm up...otherwise, no one eats around here!

Gah...I just picked up "The Grapes of Wrath" the other day at the thrift store (while I was killing time until I could park in front of my house after the street cleaner goes by, so I duck into the thrift store and browse their bookshelf) and NOW it's on AMC. I had just gotten to the part where Tom Joad gets back to his farm and it's all abandoned because the banks have forclosed on his parents and neighbors. Funny how many people have made such sacrifices to get to California, my parents included, and here I am whining about what? Having a decent wage? and a roof over my head? bah. I'm a sissy.

When I was in Italy, my "Liebemeister" (beloved professor) likened me to the woman in this story. In Italian, it was called "Il Furore" and I remember going to great lengths to find out this was "Grapes of Wrath." Now I wonder which character he meant. There are two strong female characters, Ma, and Rose of Sharon. I actually feel more like Tom Joad, but that's no surprise, he's a bit disillusioned, and focused only on the present because the future is so out of grasp...I feel a lot like that guy.

Click here for a good Sparknotes review of characters


I'm off to sample one of these cinnamon rolls, eh?
Just wanted to update youse on the good news :)
Keep your fingers crossed that I won't blow the interview, or leave the frying pan for the fire, huh?

:P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home