25 June 2009

so this is grad school, eh?

Well, so far it's been an interesting ride.

I was having a problem with my upstairs neighbor/wrestler/pro-bowler who was running around, crashing into things and so forth bdtween midnight and 6 am. The other night, I didn't get to sleep til 5:30 am, having to call the campus security people twice. I wrote an email to the campus housing coordinator and got a reply back that they wanted to talk to me, so I went in (rather than edit my paper, due that morning) and met with the director of student housing and the coordinator.

They were very sympathetic and nice, and the director said at the end "I'm going to personally go over there and have a talk with them" and they also posted, slid under the door, and mailed notices warning them that they were in violation of the housing contract, etc. Well, whatever she said, it worked. I slept like a baby that night and last night. Though I can still hear someone walking around, it's normal, not loud crashes and bangs and running around like an imbecile at 4:30 am.

Needless to say, my grades have suffered.

I did pretty badly on a test, though, it was mostly because it snuck up on me and I didn't know about it. Though I had been studying, there was not the level of pre-test study that would have normally gone on, so I did very badly.

Another problem I'm having is that I don't know how to write a scholarly paper.
I've received back an assignment and basically they minced it all up...as if I had been a 5 year old and tried to write something.

Partly, this was my fault for trusting the professor when she said it was just an opinion paper about an article we read. So, I found a news article regarding San Francisco's "Healthy SF" initiative, and how Kaiser hospital has just joined, and how great this is.

I got back something that basically said my paper had nothing to do with the article I ahd included. What the...

So, I have to step it up several notches. Lisa doesn't know the meaning of quit.

I'm off today to spend the day at a study cubicle of the library in preparation for my next Advanced Pharmacology exam, and to read about a thousand pages of journal articles that were assigned reading for Genetics and Health and Social Policy classes.

Outside, it's muggy. Overcast and hot--it will likely rain again today.
Only a few weeks now 'til I'm done and can go home!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home