01 June 2009

The First day of School



This is the view from my window right now--it's 10:00, it looks hot outside, but at least the traffic is light.

As bad as last year was, I thought nothing could be worse--yet somehow, I'm scared of going back to school. Possibly intimidation from knowing these are some heavy courses I'm taking (Medical Genetics, Advanced Pharmacology, and Health and Social Policy.) I've got two days of classes, and Mondays will be my "long day" (classes starting at 1:00 and ending at 8:00 pm without a break for dinner.

I have to go straighten out my registration issues--Friday they confiscated my old ID badge and wouldn't give me a new one until I register. I can't register without the dean of anesthesia signing off on an add/drop slip for me, and I have to go down there and face her (she's a scary dragon) and get my form. Then it will likely be a day of walking around, from building to building, back and forth trying to find the right department and red tape and hoops to jump through.

New York, and specifically, Columbia University, is unlike anything I've ever experienced before.

But I'm here, and I'm alive, so I can't be sad about that (as much as I could be miserable, hating it here, and missing George and Rutger, like the first time around. Somehow, last year's experiences have hardened me--at least it's not cancer, I keep saying to myself.

Still, it's the gepographical equivalent of cancer--New York.

:)

Ok, I had to get one shot at New York in there, somewhere

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home